Monday, November 12, 2012

12. I am thankful for...

Today I want to talk about how thankful I am for my ability to write and appreciate Poetry.
In honor of my awesome poetry writing skills, today I will be featuring one of my favorite poems. Enjoy! (o:
You can also see more of my poems on my Facebook page, under my notes.


A Year Has Gone
A poem by me. Written 1/23/11

Twelve months have come,
A year has gone.
It's been three hundred sixty five days,
Fifty two weeks too long.

Four seasons have passed,
Roughly 60 days in each one
And all this time that's gone by,
I've been thinking about what I've done.

Pulled you in,
Then pushed you away,
Gave me your heart,
And I threw it away.

January, February, 
March, April, May.
I'd been counting,
Counting down the days.

Memories stopping me,
Every chance they'd get.
Reminding me daily,
Of everything since we'd met.

There are too many things,
Too many I couldn't forget.
You know something's wrong,
When you're holding onto things that make you upset.

I felt nothing in January,
That was the start.
Tried not to think of you,
Tried to be smart.

But that didn't matter,
February throbbed my heart.
My 16th birthday,
One in which you'd have no part.

March came along,
It marked month three.
And just a few years back,
This was the month you met me.

And soon it was April,
I'll try to explain.
Baseball season,
This was your game.

And not only that,
But a new striking pain,
I lost something I always wanted you to have,
April brought much rain.

But no flowers in May,
At least not for me.
Don't think I forgot the sixth.
The day you turned eighteen.

Then there was graduation,
Which I did actually see.
I regret not paying attention,
To the whole class of 2010 being set free.

And June takes me back,
To when 'Leavin'" was on top.
When I'd lay on my mom's balcony,
And we'd talk all night, nonstop.

Before I knew it July had come,
Soon the temperature would start to drop.
You announced you'd be attending pellston,
We made plans to meet in Mackinaw at my shop.

August I spent thinking,
Thinking too much.
I hadn't seen you all summer,
8 months since January when we lost touch.

When school started in September,
That's when I started to lose it all.
Memories were killing me,
Every time I went down the senior hall.

I had dreams in October,
Dreams all of you.
One every night,
Each time they were new.

November was the worst,
I remember when we started dating.
But I'd cry myself to sleep,
Because our memories were fading.

A cold walk on the beach with you,
 I wish I'd never see anything more.
Because December was drawing near,
And soon I'd end up starting a war.

Finally December,
The end of twenty-ten.
You'd think I'd have forgotten you,
After all, eleven months it had been.

But all I could do,
Was thing back in time.
As Taylor Swift has it,
I could only "wish I realized what I had when you were mine."

I missed you like crazy,
I started asking around.
I wanted to know,
Was I the only one counting down?

Finally January 19th,
A whole year had gone. 
Three hundred sixty five days.
Fifty two weeks too long.

I sent the message,
One day later got one back.
Found out some things never change,
And that's where we're at.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading; leave a comment! It's appreciated. (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...